Friday, February 25, 2011

Faith- 8:4

Perhaps here we get a bit of an insight into the disciples question at the start- they weren't making the jumps (and I'm sure I wouldn't have in their situation either- and perhaps further than that- in my situation). So though they know Jesus is able, if they dwelt on their past experience with him, they come up with a flat faithless type of take on the situation (a very understandable one in one sense- but in another close to unpardonable). I think this sort of thing is what particularly riles Jesus. He is at his most exasperated over lack of faith- O faithless and perverse generation how long must I put up with you... Shortly we come to Peter's confession of Jesus as the messiah- and from here Jesus starts telling the disciples about his death, as though he was waiting for the genesis of this sort of mature faith in the disciples before he shared more deeply of his mission with them. I think he loves Thomas- knows his type, but there is rebuke there for lack of faith when Thomas utters, 'My Lord and my God'. I think he is thrilled and impressed with the faith of the Centurion- he does make the jumps, and very quickly. “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” The centurion manages to sum up the situation far more accurately than most those who have the benefit of 2000 years of tradition based on interaction with Yahweh. He is sympathetic to the Jews- has built them a synagogue. His sympathy is far deeper than perhaps the locals suspected. His military background stands him in good stead too- He realises something of who Jesus is and sends a messenger not to trouble the teacher- I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; therefore I do not presume to come to you. But only speak the word, and let my servant be healed. For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, 'Go' and he goes, and to another 'come' and he comes, and to my slave 'Do this,' and he does it.”
So this centurion puts a few things together and comes up with the appropriate response- Like Peter when he falls at Jesus knees, “Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man”. And part of his appropriate response (with-not worthy to come in person to you or have you come under my roof) is his faith that Jesus can heal- has authority to issue the command, and it will be so.

The indictment on the disciples, (there for others who follow after them to read for at least 2000 years), is an indictment on me- slow to see and hear. Slow to put the pieces together and make the jumps. Too readily to glance at a situation- but how can you feed people in this desert? He is after rocks on which he can build his church- and he will wait to build until the firm foundation is there- faith. “And he could do no deed of power, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and cured them. And he was amazed at their unbelief.”

No comments:

Post a Comment