Sunday, January 24, 2010

Favourite camping spots- 3:7-12

Jesus withdraws/ retires/ takes refuge , to the sea (lake). - It's been pretty hectic, and Jesus takes the disciples to a quieter and scenic place- like what we do. I wonder if they had their favourite spots? Was there the equivalent of a family picnic in Palestine? Or a few days camping?
But he/ they are thwarted – a polu plairthos – a great multitude from galilee and then as well from all over- Judea, Jerusalem, from around the Jordan, and around Tyre and Sidon, follow them there. All the last groups, Mark says, because they heard everything that he was doing.
I don't think I would have handled it the same way as Jesus- even if I didn't have the heart to send people away (which I might have), I would have interacted with the crowd begrudgingly- I appreciate solitude/ rest after periods of busyness.
And he said to his disciples to have a small boat standing by in order that the crowd would not crush/ press upon him (something along those lines).
For he had healed many so that they fell about/ thronged about/ were on top of one another – idea- epipiptein.

The evil spirits- (unclean spirits in Greek) – all seem to be following the same course of action- “you are the Son of God”- and Jesus response is the same as well- strict orders to shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment