Sunday, January 24, 2010

My blasphemous praxis- 3:22-30

Vs22
It's a pretty weighty accusation to bring against someone- He is possessed by Satan- by the prince of Demons he is driving out demons.- It is, as Jesus points out, also ridiculous. There's a word for that- is it disingenous? where you say something- which you know not to be true- but say it anyway- with the effect of trying to mislead people- using your position to do it. Perhaps this is the crux of the matter when Jesus says- 'whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin'- Of all the strong things he says in discourse with the pharisees- this is perhaps the strongest- the application is wider than just these men (and may not be the case for these men perhaps), but what the catalyst is for such a comment is the Beelzebub assertion. (Beelzeboul in Greek- so why on earth change it to beelzebub? they're both weird in English)
To enjoy an eternal relationship with the Father, God must be acknowledged for who he is- even if this knowledge is very partial- there also needs to be an appropriate response- If you say God is a servant of Satan- you have totally misrepresented reality- will never get it right- but far more seriously have probably done something diabolical- because somewhere there – there is that duplicity or whatever the word is I'm looking for- I shall purposely misrepresent you – though I actually know this is not the case. There is, I imagine all sorts of subtleties here- but in the end all that do not acknowledge Jesus as Lord will be in this position- even those who have never heard of him per se- I'm sure they have slightly different parameters in one sense- but then probably not so different- (whoever has- more will be expected of him...) A whole lot of mysteries of Judgement, which thankfully I don't have to fully know about. But perhaps the important thing (apart from a reminder of the reality that many (most?) humans currently living on the planet, shall commit that eternal sin- that Jesus would love this not to be the case- and would like to send me- (as the Father sent him) to save as many as possible from this fate- ((my figures don't look very good at the moment)), is that my praxis can head down this way- I don't say Jesus is who he isn't in essence- just live as though he's not who I say he is. Too often, I'm sure, I disobey the Spirit- and perhaps that is not as far removed from blasphemy as what I might think on a first reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment