Monday, August 2, 2010

New things- 7:24-30

From Isaiah 49,

“It is too small a thing for you to be my servant
to restore the tribes of Jacob
and bring back those of Israel I have kept.
I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth.”


Back in 48 Isaiah writes for Yahweh,
“From now on I will tell you of new things,
of hidden things unknown to you.
They are created now and not long ago;
you have not heard of them before today.
So you cannot say,
'Yes, I knew of them.'
You have neither heard nor understood;
from of old your ear has not being open.


I'm not sure, but the 'servant note' seems to be the new thing. -An added layer to the Messiah chord. Certainly there were not many Jews who had truly 'heard' of Jesus when he turned up. For many he did key into many things in their tradition- but for most it was not in the way they expected. And in particular this seems to be the unexpected part- Peter pulling Jesus aside to rebuke him when he speaks of his death. - the picture that seems to be in James and John's head when they ask for the places of honour beside Jesus in his 'glory'.
And you capture something of the flavour of these verses in Jesus frustration that people (in particular the disciples), just don't get it. -Do you still not understand?, are you so dull? O unbelieving generation, how long shall I put up with you?

I imagine you can't really understand these verses or the weight of Jesus frustration without realising he is tapping into a long history of Yahweh's frustration with a people with a 'neck with sinews of iron, and a forehead of bronze'. (Is 48)

1 comment:

  1. i posted a comment on here last night and it's vanished... we've elevated skids commentary to no. 1 spot on the favourites bar - to assist ease of viewing... heard ma telling someone about something from here... word is spreading... and if you find a very similar comment somewhere - that'll be my lost one....

    ReplyDelete