Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Isaiah interlude- 7

Isaiah 28: 9ff
“Who is it he is trying to teach?
To whom is he explaining this message?
To children weaned from their milk,
to those just taken from the breast?
For it is:
Do and do, do and do,
rule on, rule on rule;
a little here, a little there.”
Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues
God will speak to this people,
to whom he said,
“This is the resting place, let the weary rest”;
and, “This is the place of repose”-
but they wouldn't listen.
So then, the word of the LORD to them will become:
Do and do, do and do,
rule on rule, rule on rule;
a littler here, a little there-
so that they will go and fall backwards,
be injured and snared and captured.

Therefore hear the word of the LORD you scoffers
who rule this people in Jerusalem.
You boast, “We have entered into a covenant with death,
with the grave we have made an agreement.
When an overwhelming scourge sweeps by,
it cannot touch us,
for we have make a lie our refuge
and falsehood our hiding place.”

So this is what the Sovereign LORD says:

“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a tested stone
a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who trusts will never be dismayed.
I will make justice the measuring line
and righteousness the plumb line;
hail will sweep away your refuge, the lie
and water will overflow your hiding place....


I thought that may have related to the pharisees- the do and do, do and do,- rule on rule, rule on rule. But I'm not sure.

The passage Jesus quotes is the chapter after- 28 has been to Ephraim and 29 is to Ariel – David's city ( I assume Jerusalem). The LORD says,

“These people come near to me with their mouth
and honour me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
Their worship of me
is made up only of rules taught by men.

(the Septuagint has the form found in Mark- They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men)

No comments:

Post a Comment