Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Upokrites- 7:1-13

They knew he was in Galilee and would have known or been able to find out that his base was at Capernaum. I suppose the delegation would have had more time to accomplish their mission than if it had have happened in the modern world. A three day trip up? I wonder who they stayed with? Probably pharisees known to them. -where they would have caught up on what Jesus had been up to- discussed the subversiveness of it. And I imagine they could have filled them in on where they would be most likely to find him the next day. I imagine for awhile now Jesus has been a watched man- not just the people and disciples, but in the sense of 'covered' – reports are going back- and now we have the city agents coming out.

And Jesus lets rip. There is no holding back- 'I know the game you are playing, and if I don't play this right I could get myself killed.' He quotes Isaiah at them (immediately turning the table on their world) and says that they are on the outside- hypocrites- stage actors with a device in their mask for augmenting the force of the voice. (what a brilliant image for a hypocrite)- Vine. And then with forceful and direct insight- “You have let go of commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.
Then he gives them an example of this- and turns his attention to the crowd. And I bet there loving it- for they would know all about the pharisees political correctness- and I'm sure many Galileans would resent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment